Saturday 7 February 2009

Roy Wallis D.O.

I first tried the Q1000 when my wife tripped and fell, breaking her radius. It was at a trade health show, and I was able to rent a Q1000 a few minutes after the accident. She had six hours in Accident and Emergency. The pain was intense, but the Q1000, with the infrared probe, seemed to stop it, so much so she didn’t use painkillers after two days. Whilst I was using it on her, I tried it out on my patients.

I find the Q1000 gets rid of pain quicker. It speeds the healing process. If I do a manipulation, the pain is often the same just afterwards, but if I use the Q1000 they feel less pain. The quicker something heals, the less likely it is to recur. If someone feels an 8/10 pain, it will come down to 3/10 with the laser.

Some patients use their own intuition about how long to use the laser on each position on the body. One woman sometimes tells me that 3 seconds is enough! For back pain I use the laser between the vertebrae on the lumber spine to work in the disk and the facet joint. Its excellent for inflammation.

I had one patient with really bad tooth pain after an extraction. I used the 660 probe on her empty socket and the surrounding gum, and the dentist could not believe how little bruising there was when he saw her afterwards.

I’ve also had success with shingles. Fortunately this patient had her own laser, a Q10, but she was put off using it on her daughter by her doctor. He said it wouldn’t help! So I saw the daughter, and showed her how to place it over the spots. At first each time the pain increased, but then it was quickly followed by a relief from pain, something which nothing else had done. With regular treatment with the laser at home, this woman was able to return to work after just two and a half weeks.

My wife is a chiropodist, and physical therapist. She had stopped working, but now she is considering coming back to work with me in the clinic, just to use the laser on patients after they have seen me. Her own experience has had quite an effect on her, so much so she is enthusiastic to share it with others. I certainly would not be without it now. It really makes a difference. I have many other ‘toys’ – ultrasound, a short wave machine and a scenar, for example, but it’s the Q1000 that I use the most.

No comments: